Sunday, December 2, 2012

Visiting a temple..

My mother woke me up at 4 AM. she gave the extra push needed to make me brush my teeth and made me to take bath with cold water in rather chilly winter.. By 5 AM, I was ready with 'offerings to god' in my backpack. By offerings I mean, the first handpicked satchel full of  rice from the field, a bottle of milk and a saari. My mom knew that I am an atheist, but she also has belief in me that I do everything she ever wanted. Mom, grandma, bro and me are better put in friends category rather than family. We always enjoy each others presence - the saddest and happiest moments. Damn, my bro was in college and this journey was entirely on my own!.

     I started on bike from my village at around 5:05 AM. I never liked to put jacket on, I always liked to experience the extreme!. The climate was compassionate, bitter, envious and relaxing. Rode the bike over the unpaved rural roads, there are ups and downs on the road caused by the preceding rainy season just like the highs and lows of our lives.  

It was still dark and cold, Sun was shy enough to raise and moon appeared to encourage sun to help him rise and greet his girlfriend, the 'Sunflowers'. Its 6 AM, 30 mins from now, I would reach the temple of my family god- Lord Shiva. We were shaivites by birth. Though me and my bro, are atheists by nature. My mom and grandma never imposed theism in us, they always wanted us to do good and be good. Along the way, I was thinking about my guardians and   my own impression on god. In tandem, I was enjoying scenic beauty of sun rise from above the clouds and the flush greenery of crops which are  grown to a good level, Thanked the supreme for the good crops this year due to timely rains. 

Reached the temple!. I do not know why I hate visiting temples. But I try to explain myself why I do and what led me to be a dis-believer of god and  idol worshiping.

Now here's the interesting part, The first thing I should do was, But tickets for archana and other stuff, some would not believe, I should pay charge for offering coconut too. I bought everything and now I am asked to pay extra to offer what I bought!... Paid at chappal stand! Paid to get my head shaved! - got my head shaved.. first payments...

Entered the temple on barefoot. There are 5 idols in the same temple... what for? To get more dakshina at each idol! As per my mom instructions, I have to donate a minimum of 10 rs at each idol apart from the offerings... where is this money going? and offerings? to god!!?- Absolutely no!!! a big no!!... Oh yea.. The priests take them!!... second payments.

As usual, I did everything quick... Its time to leave the temple.... There is this queue of people who will kill you If you do not give them dakshina. They are aged from 5 to 90. They  do not accept what we give, they demand for more. Lost 50 bucks - third payment

My mom wanted me to bring bracelets from temple premises.. bought them for mom. Do those really protect you from bad as shown many of the films bestowed on gods?. No idea! - fourth payments.

May every moment in and around the temple is revolving around the money which I am spending for being there. But the purpose I came for is - to jus take blessings from god and wish everyone live happily. But the price for that is in terms of paisa! rather It should be in my willing to do good and help others.

Did the supreme really wanted us to worship? Did he really wanted us to come to location, find his idol and offer what we have? Did he asked the people in the place to built a temple for him? Did he ask the shopkeepers, beggars, priests to be there for him and extract money from fellow pilgrims? Does he have reservation for the guys who spend much money or show more bhakti?... Numero questions left un-answered...

Left the temple, pitying how foolish the people are , trying to find solace in a stone. Re-assuring myself that I am not part of that chumpy people.  Switched on the mp3 player, my favorite playlist started playing -

"Pal Pal Hai Bhari Woh Vipda Hai Aayee .........  

Ram Hriday Mein Hai Mere, Ram Hi Dhadkan Mein Hain
Ram Meri Aatma Mein, Ram Hi Jeevan Mein Hain....
Ram Har Pal Mein Hai Mere, Ram Hai Har Swaas Mein
Ram Har Aasha Mein Meri, Ram Hi Har Aas Mein

Ram Hi To Karuna Mein Hai, Shanti Mein Ram Hain
Ram Hi Hai Ekta Mein, Pragati Mein Ram Hain
Ram Bas Bhakton Nahin, Shatru Ke Bhi Chintan Mein Hain
Dekh Taj Ke Paap Raavan, Ram Tere Man Mein Hain......."

  
The demigod - Enna rascala :P


No comments:

Post a Comment