Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Odisha - the 8th Continent

The title is no weirdo for those who moved to Odisha on some purpose like tour, education, et al.
There are some reasons!. Its one of the few places where there is no difference between potato and meat. Differently put in, It is the only place on the earth, where you find Chicken, mutton, fish in potato curry!!. I sometimes feel that people don't like to serve others. I always think why Odisha is still considered a poor state, given the mineral prosperity and large cultivable land with vast water resources. Though I didn't get a clear explanation for myself, I weigh the cause on the attitude and system of Odia life, their reluctance to new cultural, technical and methodical invasions. To the fact, only 2 % of entire population are Muslim and 2.4 % Christians(94.3 % are Hindu).


Odisha's roadside vendors never try to learn much. They are always content with what they get. Once it happened that, Himanshu wanted a dozen bananas, he asked the vendor "what is the price of a single banana?", the reply was Rs5. Himanshu asked the vendor, "I will take 12 bananas, sell me at Rs50".Here comes the immediate a big 'NO' from the vendor and goes on proclaiming "I will not sell bananas a rupee less". What we found is, they are letting the fruits rot, but not selling a rupee less. Till now we are unable to crack the "marketing or selling" strategy of these vendors.

I am not showing my sarcasm here. I am just relating to the behavioral aspect of some people, I come across the street. They never smile at a stranger, never do they say hello. I personally feel that Odisha should open up and be able to provide good hospitality and service. Though tourism is a large industry here, you don't find much development on the line. People here don't like competitiveness which I don't understand why.


I have been staying here since 2009. If I commemorate my past, Only a few moments I was happy about being in Odisha. though few moments relate to awesome Odia 'sweets', time spent with friends at IIT and wildness of Odisha. You will surely enjoy going to beaches and staying there at sunset. I explored places around Bhubaneswar only. I would like to visit  Sambalpur and Dhenkanal which have huge forest reserves. I know some the people whom I really like to be with and associate.

The above are some of the some of the problems we face in Odia, I guess some of Odia acquaintances also feel the same. A change in conduct, opening up to the wind of progression.

I guess to understand Odisha, I should be part of Odisha which I never gave a thought. From today, I find myself a way to be part and lead a happy go life in Odisha.

Preetam if you reading this, this isn't about your kind of people. You are really good.

The 8th continent 



No comments:

Post a Comment